In March CFGN highlighted the threat of the EU plant reproductive material debates being drawn into the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) free-trade talks between the US and the EU. Read below for more info and a call-out to stop the decisions of TTIP on how we swap seeds and the corporate power grab of our lives:
Rise up against TTIP: Stop the corporate power grab
12 July 2014
No TTIP! national tour and & day of action
Call to action:
TTIP is a so-called ‘free trade’ deal currently being negotiated by the EU and US. This deal will give big business more power over our society, our environment, our public services, and our democracy.
That’s why we call on activists around the country to demonstrate their opposition to the TTIP on 12 July.
TTIP is being negotiated in secret, but proposals already being discussed would:
• Give corporations power to sue the British government for making laws which ‘damage’ their profits
• Allow corporations a bigger role in writing laws
• ‘Lock-in’ free market reforms in over the NHS and education system
• Erode environmental protection and safety standards
• Encourage more fracking, genetic modification and dangerous chemicals into Europe
• Hand more power to the banks and financial system
• Create a ‘race to the bottom’ on rights at work
But we can defeat this agreement. Protests are gathering pace across the EU and US. President Obama has been unable to get special powers to negotiate the deal through congress.
The European Commission has been forced to hold a public consultation. And across the world, countries from South Africa to Ecuador are ripping up agreements like this one.
Make your voice heard on 12 July. No TTIP.
World Development Movement
War on Want
Jubilee Debt Campaign
University and College Union
People & Planet
Friends of the Earth, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Campaign Against Climate Change
We Own It